The Stables Courtyard houses the Coach House Gallery where visitors can enjoy a changing programme of special exhibitions. It is also the focus for many family visits with its access to the Woodland Playground, family-friendly Stables Café and children's activity room.
The building was designed by the same architect who designed the Manor, this time in a French 17th-century style. The complex now houses a café, shop and the Coach House gallery. In the centre of the courtyard is a bronze horse by Edgar Boehm, believed to be the Duke of Wellington’s charger, Copenhagen.
Stables Café and kiosk
The Stables Café is informal and ideal for families. There is also an outdoor kiosk in the courtyard for hot drinks, snacks, ice creams and children’s lunch boxes.
Outdoor seating and blankets are available in the courtyard during chilly weather.
In the Stables Courtyard, you’ll find our Coach House which is used as a gallery space in the summer and in winter as an indoor seating area to relax with friends and family.
The children’s activity room opposite The Coach House offers indoor play and craft activities for younger kids at weekends and during school holidays. Available from March to October.
Open 11am-4pm, Sat & Sun, from 6 Jan to 18 Mar 2018
Our Woodland Playground near the Stables winds through the trees, making the most of the natural environment to create a magical area to play.
There’s something for everyone up to the age of 14 in our playground. Little ones can play in safety at the bottom of the hill, with seesaws, swings and plenty of soft bark to land on. At the top of the hill is our bird’s nest swing and older children can whizz down a giant contour slide, or clamber over the climbing frames.
Useful to know
- our shuttle bus stops at the Stables on its circular route. Stay on the bus after the Fountains stop to reach the Stables and wait here to be picked up to go back to the car park or back up to the house
- baby-changing and feeding facilities can be found at the Stables
- high-chairs are available at Stables café
- our shuttle buses have space for up to five unfolded pushchairs
- under fives can bring small bicylces into the grounds but please keep to the pathways. These can be taken on our visitor shuttle buses