The Lord Chamberlain's Men: As You Like It
Thu 23 June
6pm gates openGrounds
One of the UK’s finest touring theatre companies, The Lord Chamberlain’s Men, invite you to join them this summer for the sparkling comedy, As You Like It.
With a history stretching back to William Shakespeare himself, the Lord Chamberlain’s Men present this great play as the playwright first saw it performed – in the open air, by an all-male cast and with Elizabethan costumes, music and dance.
“Love is merely a madness!”
Separately, Rosalind and her dear friend Celia, the noble Orlando, and the usurped Duke Senior and his courtiers get banished and set up new lives in the Forest of Arden. Free from the constraints of their former lives lovers tussle, wits and fools spar, familial bonds are challenged, and everyone wrestles with what it really means to be yourself.
“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.”
In exile they become exultant as true love and true identity is found in the forest. This rustic romp packed with music, laughs, cross-dressing confusion and a dash of wrestling will keep you smiling to the last.
“All the world’s a stage!”
Bring a chair and a picnic and prepare to be entertained and transported.
6pm – car park, gates and catering open
7pm – performance begins and catering closes
8pm – interval
8.15pm – performance continues
9.15pm – performance ends
Local deli boards
Order your Local Deli Board, to pick up when you reach the Manor. Suitable for two people sharing, your board will include a selection of local, British cheeses and charcuteries served with breads, crackers, olives and pickles, plus a homemade sweet treat dessert pot.
Book online with your tickets
Important things to know
- shuttle buses begin when the car park opens and will stop running during the performance. If you need to return to the car park during the performance, please speak to a member of staff at the North Fountain.
- shuttle buses return to the car park at the end of the performance. There will be a call for the last bus. There is no lit pathway back to the car park.
- light refreshments will be available
- please remember this is an outdoor event in the middle of the Great British summer, so please bring appropriate warm clothing
- you are welcome to bring chairs or picnic blankets as seating is not provided
- please do not bring gazebos as these block the view of the performance area
- except for wine bottles, glassware is not allowed
- strictly no fires