Figures outside an inn
Order image © All images subject to copyright
Oil painting of a landscape with figures and cattle, including travellers and soldiers, outside an inn.
Dimensions (mm) / weight (mg)
1030 x 1420
Signature & date
signed and dated, lower left: I van Ostade 1647
Frederik Perkins Esq
2 brown labels on the centre of stretcher with the same information on, signature - Frederik Perkins esq. in ink
on verso on stretcher
Gilded plaque on lower frame member
- Owned by either Sir John Lambert (b.1728; d.1799), Paris, or a M. du Porail; sold in their sale, Lebrun, Paris, 27 March 1787, lot 68, as ‘La Vue d’une Hôtellerie - Ce tableau précieux rempli de detail, pittoresques & agréables, a toujours regardé comme un des ouvrages capitaux de cet habile peintre’ for 1700 FF, to either Jean-Baptiste Lebrun (b.1748, d.1813) or Joseph-Alexandre Lebrun (active c 1785- c 1795); acquired by Sébastien Érard (b.1752; d.1831), Château de la Muette, Passy; his posthumous sale, Salle Lebrun, Paris, 14 August 1832 [=7th Day], lot 105, as ‘Halte de Voyageurs a la Porte d’un Cabaret – Ce tableau qui est regardé comme l’un des plus capiteaux de l’auteur, réunit à la richesse et à amusante variété des details, à beaucoup de vie et d’action, une execution forte, un coloris plein de chaleur, et cette savant combination de lumière et l’ombre sans laquelle il n’y a point d’effet en peinture’, for 4,801 livres; acquired by Frederick Perkins (1780-1860) of Chipstead Place, Sevenoaks, Kent, by 1857; acquired by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild (1839-1898); inherited by his sister Alice de Rothschild (1847-1922); inherited by her great-nephew James de Rothschild (1878-1957); inherited by his wife Dorothy de Rothschild (b.1895, d.1988); inherited by the donor; accepted under the Cultural Gifts Scheme by HM Government and allocated to Waddesdon (National Trust), 2016.
- 'Art Treasures of the United Kingdom', Manchester, 5 May - 17 October 1857, no. 1025 (lent by F Perkins, Esq).
- Spencer House, London, May 1991-2016, long term loan.
- Waddesdon (National Trust)
- Accepted under the Cultural Gifts Scheme by HM Government and allocated to the National Trust, 2016
- John Smith; A Catalogue Raisonné of the Works of the Most Eminent Dutch, Flemish and French Painters; 9 vols; London; Smith and Son; 1829-1842; vol, 1, p. 184, no. 18; vol. 9, p. 125, no. 11.
- Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild; The Red Book; England; Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild; b.1839, d.1898; 1897; pp. 50-51, ill.
- Cornelis Hofstede de Groot; A Catalogue Raisonné of the Works of the Most Eminent Dutch Painters of the Seventeenth Century. Vols 1-4 [1907-1927]; Bishops Stortford; Chadwick Healey; 1976; vol. 3, p. 511, no. 225d, & p. 521, no. 248; no. 225d ‘A Great Merrymaking’; no. 248, ‘Many People Outside an Inn – In the collection of the late Baron Ferdinand von Rothschild, Waddesdon Manor.’
- Objects/Food & Drink/Alcohol
- Objects/Food & Drink/Tobacco
- Objects/Agricultural Equipment/Horse Riding & Work Equipment
- Objects/Cooking & Eating/Glassware
- Objects/Cooking & Eating/Tableware
- Objects/Vehicles/Waggon or Cart
- Objects/Vessels & Containers/Bottle
- Objects/Vessels & Containers/Cup or Glass
- Objects/Vessels & Containers/Jug or Ewer
- Objects/Vessels & Containers/Trough
- Work & Occupations/Agriculture & Fishing/Cowherder
- Work & Occupations/Agriculture & Fishing/Peasant, Farmer or Farm Labourer
- Work & Occupations/Maritime & Military/Soldier
- Work & Occupations/Trade & Commercial/Inn-keeper