Lady Anne Luttrell, The Duchess of Cumberland (1743-1809)
Order image © All images subject to copyright
Full-length oil portrait of Anne Luttrell, the Duchess of Cumberland. Anne stands with her right elbow resting on a column pedestal, and her hand to her head. Her right leg is crossed over her left. She wears her hair in a tall style, topped with a blue cap or ribbon and a flowing white dress with blue ribbons crossed over her chest. She wears a wide bracelet on her right arm. She stares out at the viewer with heavily lidded eyes. She stands against a column and a low wall. Another column to the left is swathed in heavy red tasselled drapes. Behind the columns, there is a windswept landscape with several trees and a distant building on the left.
Dimensions (mm) / weight (mg)
2490 x 1620
Signature & date
not signed or dated
verso, on top of frame
J de Rothschild Cat 9
verso, on second cross stretcher
verso, on stretcher
1950-51 / Serial no. 372 / Ann, Duchess of Cumberland (RA 1773) / Owner James A. de Rothschild Esq DCM / Waddesdon , Aylesbury, Bucks
verso, on second cross stretcher, Royal Academy label
4 [?] England
verso, on upright stretcher, '4' in ink, the rest printed
- Remained in the painter's studio, probably unpaid for or unclaimed by the sitters; sold at Greenwood's 16 April 1796, lot 53, with the rest of Reynolds's unclaimed portraits; bought by Lord John Hussey Delaval (b.1728, d.1808); inherited by his second wife Lady Susannah Knight Delaval (d.1822) and then by descent to his step granddaughter Marchioness Susannah Carpenter of Waterford (b.1784, d.1827); by descent to her son 3rd Marquess Henry de la Poer Beresford of Waterford (b.1811, d.1859); inherited by his wife Marchioness Louisa Stuart of Waterford (b.1818, d.1891); acquired by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild (b.1839, d.1898) soon after the death of the Marchioness of Waterford; inherited by his sister Alice de Rothschild (b.1847, d.1922); inherited by her great-nephew James de Rothschild (b.1878, d.1957); bequeathed to Waddesdon The Rothschild Collection (The National Trust) in 1957.
- Royal Academy Exhibition, 1773, London, no. 233, Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cumberland
- British Institute, 1863, London, no. 71, lent Louisa, Marchioness of Waterford
- Royal Academy Exhibition, 1951-2, London, no. 9, lent James de Rothschild
- Waddesdon (National Trust)
- Bequest of James de Rothschild, 1957
- Algernon Graves, William Vine Cronin; A History of the Works of Sir Joshua Reynolds; 4 vols; London; Henry Graves; 1899-1901; vol. 1, p. 219.
- Ellis Waterhouse; Reynolds; London; Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner & Co. Ltd.,; 1941; pp. 16, 63.
- Ellis Waterhouse, The English Pictures at Waddesdon Manor, Gazette des Beaux-Arts, 54, August 1959, 49-56; p. 52.
- Ellis Waterhouse, Anthony Blunt; Paintings: The James A. de Rothschild Collection at Waddesdon Manor; Fribourg; Office du Livre, The National Trust; 1967; p. 70, no. 24.
- Martin Postle, Reynolds's Portraits at Waddesdon Manor: Painting for Posterity, Apollo, 139, 1994, 19-33; p. 22, fig. 1.
- David Mannings, Martin Postle; Sir Joshua Reynolds: a Complete Catalogue of his Paintings; 2 vols; London; Yale University Press; 2000; p. 251.
- Richard Ormond, Elaine Kilmurray; John Singer Sargent: The Later Portraits; New Haven; Yale University Press; 2003; p. 4.
- Martin Postle; Factions and Fictions: Romney, Reynolds and the Politics of Patronage; Alex Kidson, Those Delightful Regions of Imagination: Essays on George Romney (Studies in British Art 9), New Haven, Yale University Press, 2002; 63-96; p. 79, fig. 25.
- Amina Wright; Joseph Wright of Derby: Bath and Beyond; Holburne Museum, Bath, 25 January to 5 May 2014, Derby Museum and Art Gallery, Derby, 24 May to 5 August 2014; London; Philip Wilson Publishers; 2014; p. 36, ill.
- Mark Hallett; Joshua Reynolds: Portraiture in Action; New Haven; Yale University Press; 2014; pp. 254-6, 260, 330-1, fig. 235.
- Anne, Duchess of Cumberland, Sitter
Person as Subject
- Nature, Landscape & The Elements/Countryside
- Nature, Landscape & The Elements/Trees & Plants
- Architecture/Architectural Features
- Objects/Furnishings/Soft Furnishings
- Objects/Clothing & Personal Effects/Tall Hairstyle
- Objects/Clothing & Personal Effects/Jewellery
- Nature, Landscape & The Elements/Clouds
- Work & Occupations/Social Rank/Nobility
- Work & Occupations/Social Rank/Middling Classes