Château Lafite Rothschild
Château Lafite Rothschild is situated in Pauillac, North West of Bordeaux with vines first planted in the late 16th century by the Ségur family.Lafite’s reputation grew throughout the late 17th century, in 1719 Marquis Nicolas Alexandre de Ségur ensured the wine was served in the court of Versailles. This led to Lafite becoming known as ‘the king’s wine’, with the aristocracy soon regarding Lafite as the only wine to be seen drinking.
In 1868 Baron James de Rothschild acquired the estate and established Château Lafite Rothschild. After a few turbulent centuries, Baron Elie de Rothschild was handed the Château, and set about rebuilding the vineyards and market reputation. Baron Elie was hugely influential in guiding Lafite, creating the Bordeaux wine guild and a succession of fine vintages. This, coupled with the emergence of Lafite in the US, set a new height for the estate.
Now run by Saskia de Rothschild, the now globally regarded vineyard covers 112 ha. On average, the vines are around 39 years old-however, Lafite possesses some vines over 100 years old. The estate now produces up to 20,000 cases of Grand Vin and another 20,000 cases of Carruades every year.