11 Nov – 2 Jan 2018 (closed 24-26 Dec)
11am-6pmHouse & Grounds
Join us at Christmas for Winter Light and festive fun for the whole family. Inside and out this year’s decorations are inspired by Waddesdon’s real and imagined animals.
Most of the 18th-century furnished rooms in the house are ‘put to bed’ for conservation and cleaning from the end of October to March. We open some rooms (including the Bachelors’ Wing) beautifully decorated for Christmas, this year on a theme of an Enchanted Menagerie. There is limited availability for House tickets left and so we advise visiting Wed-Fri.
£10 adult, £5 child, £25 family.
National Trust and Art Fund members free
Grounds & house
Advance booking essential for Enchanted Menagerie, decorated rooms in the house. This year there will be no house tickets for sale on the day. We advise visiting Wed-Fri.
£25 adult, £12.50 child, £62.50 family.
National Trust and Art Fund members £5 adult, £2.50 child, £12.50 family
11 Nov until 2 Jan 2018, 4.30pm-6pm
From dusk, you can enjoy a new light and sound show projected onto the Manor created by the Guildhall School. Be dazzled by roaming porcelain animals, dancing musical clocks, fluttering clouds of butterflies and moths and spirited 18th-century portraits that lead you through a fantastical visual story of Waddesdon.
11 Nov until 2 Jan 2018, 11am-6pm
Discover American artist Lauren Booth’s Electric Menagerie, light-based artworks throughout the grounds which evoke the Rothschild’s passion for natural history. See Waddesdon’s animals transformed into light, find a giant illuminated dragon, neon goats and parrots and even a flea circus as you explore the Aviary, Stables and grounds.
Parking, shuttle buses and walking
- You may want to bring a torch too as some parking areas have limited lighting.
- There are four buses and two big bendy buses (kids love them!) continuously shuttling visitors to the house, but if you would prefer to walk the route is lit all the way.
- Our new, lit grass path has plastic matting and a woodchip surface. It is steep in places and after recent rain it has become quite muddy so we don’t advise this walk for anyone with a pushchair, wheelchair or scooter.
- Our bus queue may look long but it really does move quickly.
- Please wrap up in warm clothes and wear wellies or stout shoes.
- The Powerhouse, near the Manor Shop hot drinks and snacks kiosk, offers a warm place to sit and snack. You can also find warm covered seating, with sheepskins and blankets in the Wigwam cafe, where we serve hot ‘street-style’ food, cakes and drinks including mulled wine.
What’s the best time to come?
- Weekends are proving very busy during the Christmas season, if you are able to come on a weekday (Wednesday-Friday) you will find it is far less crowded here. We are open Wed-Sun until 2 Jan (except 24-26 Dec).
- Waddesdon Imaginarium light show projected onto the front of the house is better the darker it gets, we suggest it’s the last thing on your visit.
An Enchanted Menagerie, in the house
From 11 Nov until 2 Jan 2018, 11.30am-6pm
This year we celebrate the weird and wonderful animals of Waddesdon. See an elephant parade inspired by an 18th-century musical automaton to a life-sized zebra and trees decked with birds and mythical beasts. Please note that tickets must be booked in advance.
Unmissable seasonal highlights
While the main rooms in the house are ‘put to bed’ for winter, we open some rooms beautifully decorated for Christmas. Watch this short video and see the house and grounds sparkle at Christmas.
Sat 11 Nov – Tues 2 Jan
Enjoy a delicious festive lunch in the Manor Restaurant this Christmas.
11am-6pm, Wed-Sun, Sat 11 Nov – Tues 2 Jan
Barney Wrobel returns in a bigger and better Wigwam Café, serving street food, hot chocolate, mulled wine and homemade cakes.
Open 11am-6pm, Wed-Sun
You’ll find an exclusive range of bespoke jewellery, homeware, scarves, bags and more which have all been developed from objects in our collection.
Somewhere warm to sit and snack
The Powerhouse is a heated indoor space you can take hot drinks and sit inside, feed a young baby or get children out of the cold. Opposite the Manor shop courtyard. Open 11am-6pm.